Sunday, September 2, 2012

Natural Hair and Health

When I decided to go natural two years ago I didn't realize that there was this whole community for naturals like myself. I also wasn't aware of the movement towards healthier eating and fitness. I have always been fairly healthy and fit but the last three years, school had me stressed, time was only for studying and I was eating anything and everything. 
Since I graduated in December of 2011, I made a pact with myself that I would eat healthier and get fit again. I have been half way to my weight loss goal, losing 10 pounds and keeping it off.
Surprisingly, many of the girls that have been my hair crushes on YouTube, have switched their main focus of hair to taking care of their bodies such as, MsVcharles and that Luvbeinfit aka Luvbeinnatural. Another natural, HeyFranHey has always been an advocate for healthy eating. I love that health is more in the forefront these days, especially in the African American community since we are at such a high risk for high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity. 
Of course, like many people, I have my moments of weakness and I tear up some sinful dish but for the most part I am more on healthier side. But I have made small steps in my life like cutting out fast foods and eating more fruits and veggies by making smoothies or juices. 

How have you become more healthy since going natural? Tell me about it below! Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment